Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Life Changing Event

The day of Sean's birthday party was a good day.  The only thing that went wrong was my headache.  I woke up with a headache and kept it all day.  On the way to Sean's party I stopped by McDonald's and got one of the Mocha Caramel Iced Coffees.  The sugar and caffeine usually help my headaches and it did this day too.

After his party was over, we went to the Clock and ate dinner.  Neither one of us ate much at his party and we were all starving!  The meal was good and we headed home.  When we got home I told Mark that my head was hurting again.  I took some ibuprofen and we went to bed.  After I got in my bed my ears and neck were hurting too.  I asked Mark to rub my neck and told him that my throat hurt but not like it was sore.  I drifted off to sleep and slept good.

Sunday morning, December 11, 2011 we woke up and everything was good.  We started getting ready to go to Walmart and buy groceries when my head started hurting again.  Mark gave me one of the pain pills the doctor had given him for his headache.  He asked if I wanted him and Sean to go get groceries and I told him no.  I pulled my pajamas off to get dressed and my head started hurting worse.  My ears, throat, neck, front and back of my shoulders and my elbows were hurting.  I laid back down on the bed and told Mark to call 911 and started crying.  I felt like I had the flu and that my head was going to split wide open any second.  That's when I started feeling nauseated.  The ambulance got there and they asked me a few questions and then said, "Well, do you want us to transport you to the hospital?"  No, dumb ass! I just called so I could see your ugly mugs this morning!  What a stupid question for them to ask!  Anyway, I walked to the porch and down the steps and got onto the stretcher.  Inside the ambulance they gave me a little pan to throw up in and tried to start an IV.  My veins roll so he couldn't get one in.  We were half way to the hospital when the driver pulled over so they could transmit the EKG to the hospital.  When it went through the driver hit the lights and sirens, the EMT in back with me started doing all kinds of things like spraying Nitroglycerin under my tongue, giving me eight baby aspirin to take, spraying more nitro under my tongue.  Five minutes prior to this he said, "From everything I'm seeing it's not cardiac."  I asked him what was going on (all the things he was doing and the ambulance driver hauling butt and keeping the sirens on.  He said, "You're having a heart attack."  Oh, ok.  You just said it wasn't cardiac, boy you were wrong!  The didn't take me to the emergency room.  They took me straight to the heart center to the cath lab.  Once there, they did a heart cath, opened my right coronary artery which was 100% blocked and I felt better.  As soon as the artery was opened there was immediate relief.  Now, I had also been given something for nausea, Morphine and something for the sedation.  I just know I felt better. 

This is me a few hours after the heart attack while in CCU>

One of two IV's.  This one was in the bend of my arm.

Oh, I forgot to mention this.  When they pulled the tubing out I had some internal bleeding.  No place for the blood to go except inside and no way to get it out.  It just has to "dry up" so to speak.  It caused a lot of swelling.

Once the second ultrasound showed that the bleeding was stopped I was moved to a regular room.  I spent 2 days in CCU and 2 days in room 8412 in the Heart Center.

After my shower, Sean got to help nurse Nichole flush my IV.

He also checked out Mom's bed.

All my wonderful jewelry!


I am thankful to be alive and able to walk around and fuss about not going anywhere and not working.  I am thankful to be approaching another Christmas with Sean and Mark.  I almost missed his actual birthday and all future birthdays, Christmases and all of the things that go with your child growing up.  We wouldn't have known that his party at Chuck E Cheese would have been the last one that I got to celebrate or that my 47th birthday was my last or that Thanksgiving 2011 was our last together as a family.  I guess nobody knows these things but now I'm am going to live each day as if it were my last.

Oh, besides living which is the best thing, the second best thing is that I quit smoking!!!  Oh yes, my heart attack was a good thing and I will never smoke again!  It has been 10 days and I'm doing great!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment